Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Recipe: Patty Cakes and Tiramisu Cupcakes

I typically like to make my own veggie patties, and I like for them to be based around nuts, 'shrooms, and legumes. I recently, however, posted about these little patties o' goodness in finding ways to use up the 'shroom fondue I had leftover and a block of extra firm tofu. A quick spin around the internet and some additions of my own led me to one of my new favorite patty varieties. 'm callin 'em Patty Cakes...well, because they're just so darn cute! I started at fatfreevegan.com and perused this recipe, then adjusted it a tiny bit to suit my tastes and incorporate the 'shroom fondue. Here's what I came up with... Patty Cakes 1 T. olive oil (or safflower, sunflower, or grape seed oil)
1 block extra firm tofu, pressed and mashed

1/2 c. rolled oats

1/2 c. wheat germ

1 T. onion powder

1 1/2 T fresh parsley

1 tsp sea salt

1/2 tsp basil

1/2 tsp oregano

1/2 tsp thyme

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/4 c. nutritional yeast

1 tsp. Dijon mustard

2 T. low sodium soy sauce

1/4c. grated sweet onion

2 heaping T. '
Shroom Fondue (plus more for serving) Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients well. Consistency should be sticky enough to form patties. If not, add a little flour or additional nutritional yeast. Heat oil on skillet and then heat patties for about 5 min per side or until both sides reach a golden brown. Try not to flip too many times so that they'll retain their form. Place patties on baking sheet lightly coated with oil and place in oven for 20-25 min. this will help to firm up the inside of the patties. Allow to cool enough to eat and enjoy on their own, plated on top of more fondue, or in a sandwich of your choosing! These were so good, they didn't last more than three days in our house. So much for freezing 'em for when my next veggie burger craving strikes! Looks like next time I'll be making a double batch!

Speaking of double batches, we just returned from my brother's wedding in VA. While I was the only vegan there, and my mom is a pseudo-vegetarian (she still eats sea-food) the huge pot of Naked Tofu Marsala, the double batch of Dill Tempeh Pate, and the Tempeh Stuffed Mushrooms (whose leftovers turned into Tempeh stuffed peppers at our family sit down the following night, what a great idea!) all vanished in a flash, making this vegan very happy!

The best, though? I FINALLY broke down and whipped up a double batch of VCTOTW's Cupcakes to serve with the wedding cake (what?! you can't expect this vegan with a sweet tooth to not bring dessert when the wedding cake is TiramisuTres Leches! ;).
These were aMAZing, and nothing short of a huge success (though, does anyone know why the recipe calls for 2T. cornstarch in the batter? we didn't have any and I skipped it and these were perfect. weird). We even had to steal some away so family members would each get a taste. (we're Italian, remember? we never pass up a good VEGAN! tiramisu!) I also used the leftover batter to make two little single Tiramisu Cakes for the Bride and Groom to take with them.This weekend we're off for the Cap'n's little sister's wedding. I am the officiant (how crazy is that?!) and overall coordinator, but that's not gonna stop me from contributing: six dozen samosas with coconut mint chutney (ala VWaV) made yesterday and frozen, a quadruple batch of Dill Tempeh Pate, some Lentil Walnut Pate, 2 glorious quarts of the infamous Larry's Amazing Salsa, and what kind of wedding on Cinco de Mayo would be complete without VCTOTW's Mucho Margarita Cupcakes?! Not this one! Can't wait to make 'em!

Then we celebrate a family birthday Sunday night and an undetermined cupcake variety will also be enjoyed by all (see? 'm cupcake crazy! i knew cracking open that cookbook would prove dangerous! hehe)

Hope everyone has a safe and happy Cinco de Mayo weekend, I'll be sure to bring back pictures of the wedding spread upon our return from the beach.

9 comments:

Melissa said...

Beautiful patties! And those cupcakes look delicious. I made the margarita cupcakes for a girl's night a while back...very good!

laura k said...

Wow--you're in the wedding business these days, eh? Seriously, those tiramisu cuppers look so scrumptious! Once upon a time, tiramisu was my favorite dessert... so I have no good excuse for not trying these yet! Those patties look golden delicious. Note to self: Make double batch...

Anonymous said...

Wow! so much food!
looks amazing! have a great time.

Judy said...

The patties look awesome. I'm not much for mushrooms, but I'll have to take Susan's recipe and tweak it myself. Hopefully mine turn out as good as yours did!

Tiramisu is one of my fave desserts, so I can only imagine how good those cupcakes must be. Cute too.

Neva said...

You are the queen!! I love that tiramisu recipe and have served it to little old ladies (who aren't even remotely vegetarian) and they gobbled it all up. You don't even have to do it as cupcakes if you're lazy (you do have to adjust cooking time though...), but the cupcakes are best for presentation.

Those patties are so cool. My hubby loves homemade type burges sometimes (he also loves Boca Vegan, go figure...) So I'll have to try it.

bazu said...

I want to try those cupcakes, like, now. You made them beautifully.

So cool you'll be the officiant at the wedding! Are you a minister? Or... a ship's captain? (Can you tell I don't know much about these things?)

Our friend got ordained on the internet, so he could marry us. At the ceremony, he wore a fake white collar that kept falling out... kind of funny, but kind of weird, too!

Marathon Someday said...

You should seriously consider quitting your day job and starting a catering business! I would buy all my meals from you, seriously.;-) Those cupcakes are so beautiful, they brought a tear to my eye.:-)

Anonymous said...

Those patties look perfect. I really should spring for a grill like that. It would make things so much simpler.

Great idea with those tiramisu cupcakes. They look so beautiful and the mini "cake" is very creative.

Sandra from candidadietplan.com said...

Hello fellow Vegan Mofo'er :-)

Love your "Pattie Cakes" and would like to link to your recipe on the Vegan Mofo round up post on my blog this Friday.
Nice to meet you btw.
Sandra

P.S. Connect with me on Facebook (CandidaDietPlan), @candidadiettips on Twitter and Sandra Boehner on Pinterest so you see when the post goes live ;-)