Thursday, March 27, 2008

Apple Jacks and a Sneak Preview!

There's no denying that Spring has sprung. The birds are plentiful (we even spotted a downey woodpecker in our front oak yesterday!), the trees are that amazing vibrant green again, there was even a hare nibbling at the weeds near my bedroom window this morning! It's pretty much heaven on Earth here in Florida lately. But we have been having some unseasonably cool mornings. Yesterday being one of them, I wanted something hot for breakfast and a tofu scramble just wouldn't do. Enter Vegan Vittles' Apple Jacks. This recipe is literally only five ingredients and whips up lickety split. I opted for no raisins in mine and just went with apple alone. I only had a fuji apple rather than the granny smith it called for so I knew mine would be sweet enough as is. But that didn't stop me from sprinkling mine with powdered sugar and a healthy drizzle of maple syrup. Oh, and walnuts, I love walnuts all over breakfasts such as these.

They're amazingly crisp on the outside while light and fluffy on the inside. I can see me making these again and again. This morning the leftovers did pretty well warmed up in the oven, but this time I wised up. I threw on the nuts and sprinkled on the powdered sugar but served them up to myself with a side of maple syrup so I could really enjoy that outer crunch all the way thru to the end. brilliant!

I should probably apologize for not blogging too much lately. Seems one fun new side effect of pregnancy for me is carpal tunnel! yay! typing really isn't so horrible but grasping anything can be excruciating....so I'm cooking fun stuff in the kitchen less often than I'd like. I'm also not sleeping well due to having painful claw-like appendages for hands throughout the night so I pretty much spend less time at the computer or in the kitchen. But I do have baby shower pics to share and even the amazing V'con Pumpkin Ziti I contributed to Easter dinner (assuming I snap a pic before I devour the rest of it!), so I'll try to get on it soon and share.

Until then....the one thing I have been spending time on? The nursery! Taylor's room is sooo close to being completed. I just need the Cap'n to get up on the ladder for me and get a few big things hung. Her room is jungle themed, so the sneak preview is this pic of what you first see when you open the door. Too cute! More to come soon! (hopefully before she gets here, that's only seven weeks away!)thanks to Aunt Nicole for the killer name plaque and Aunt Marlo for the amazing jungle garlands that decorated the shower and now her room!

17 comments:

Animal-Friendly said...

Apple pancakes- YUMMY! Those looks sooooo good

And the name plaque is too cute!

Diz Rivera said...

Good god, I need me some of those jacks, girl.

I'm sorry about your hands. That sucks. Here's to fast healing a just a few more weeks to go!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

oh my godddd, those pancakes looks AMAZING.

Anonymous said...

OH EM GEE!!! Those apple jacks look amazing. =)

Beth said...

Ohhhhh, love the jungle-ness goin on there! I so wish I was there in the flesh! Kiss the belly for me :)

Steffi said...

I hope you'll be better soon :)
those apple jacks look mighty fine.

laura k said...

Jungle themed! You guys are going to be the coolest parents ever! :)

Mmm, and those apple jacks look delish.

Anonymous said...

I cannot even believe how good these apple pancakes look.

Vegan_Noodle said...

I've read that carpal tunnel is common during pregnancy... what a bummer!
I love that Taylor's room is jungle-themed!!

Episcopollyanna said...

Taylor's nursery is beyond adorable. Her nameplate is so cute; I just love animal prints! Can't wait to see the rest of the pics. I think you made a great choice with the jungle theme.

So sorry you've had so much carpal tunnel pain. I have a great stretch that might help (from back in my yoga-teaching years) but I'd prolly have to show you for it to work right.

And I love those apple pancakes so much. YUM!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

the pancakes look mouth-wateringly (is that a word? haha) delicious, and the nursery looks positively lovely!

aTxVegn said...

Wow, only a few more weeks! I can't wait to see shower pics.

The pancakes sound fabulous!

Jess said...

I feel bad for you with your poor hands! I hope you start feeling better VERY soon.

On the bright side, those pancakes look nothing short of divine. I don't know if I've ever seen anything so mouthwatering!

Brandie said...

OMG! It's so soon!!!! I loved the pics of the baby shower how fun!! Looks like you had a great time :)

I can't wait to see more nusery pics!! I haven't even gotten started yet lol... I'm thinking a classic Winnie the Pooh theme (cliche I know) but with the emphasis on Tigger. I LOVE tigger... I'm gonna paint some of my own decorations... since most of the Pooh stuff in stores is POOH, not the other characters... :)

Lookin forward to the pics!! **HUGS & GOOD LUCK**

Judy said...

Oh wow, those pancakes look so delicious. I am surprised they come from Vegan Vittles though, cuz most of what I have made from that book has been less than stellar. I will try these though.... let's hope it changes my mind!

Ashasarala said...

Aw, thanks so much! ;)

Just out of curiosity, who linked to it?

And mmmmm... Those pancakes look incredible. :)

JENNA said...

yah for another baby girl with a jungle themed room! my mom and mom in law were and are still horrified that their sweet granddaughter sleeps with jungle animals all around her.