Saturday, February 02, 2008

My Favorite Staple Meal Of Late

This meal right here is the reason for my often sparse posts. I make up a huge batch and eat it aaaaaaall the time. Kind of the vegan's answer to hamburger helper in that it's easy, hearty and tastes so good!I make one cup (dried) of brown rice and one cup (dried) lentils. When the rice is spending the last ten minutes off the heat but still covered and the lentils are juuuust about done, I saute a chopped sweet onion with about four cloves of minced garlic, seasoning only with salt, pepper, and paprika. I then chop up a whole bag of spinach and, after the onions have started to caramelize, add that and saute til it's wilted. Once everything is piping hot, I mix it all together in a big bowl with a ton of nutritional yeast and an embarrassingly large amount of shreeded FYH moz. cheeze.

This is my new weakness. I can think of worse things to live on! ;) I know that I should probably forgo the cheeze for a cheeze sauce like the one in V'con or one of the other tasty varieties in the land of all things vegan, but this stuff really hits the spot as is every time.

17 comments:

Monika K said...

This sounds like a filling, healthy winter meal (especially with four cloves of garlic). I can think of WAY worse things to be eating (namely, the chocolate and ice cream that I'm currently craving...). Happy February!

moi + toi PHOTOGRAPHIE said...

Lentils are amazing, and you can use them in so many different things. I love them in salads. In burritos ! Yay for lentils!

Anonymous said...

I am the same way. I will either make a huge batch, or just eat the same thing over and over (especially when I have to use up a certain ingredient before it goes bad).

Lentils and rice are amazing. Lentils are so versatile and yummy.

TB said...

Man, I know what you mean about those embarassing comfort foods. Sometimes I like to open a can of vegetarian refried beans, mix in some salsa, rice, nutritional yeast, and a diced tomato, and eat the yummy, beany paste that results. At least yours has some greens in it! :)

Mark Xander said...

Hi there! I am such a fan of your blog. :) I am vegan too and your blog is a great place to find recipes and food ideas.

We need your voice.

Anyways, I made a short film about the plight of animals in fur farms, circuses, and the like.

Please do check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wup6a5P2dKs


-Hugs-

Mark

Vegan_Noodle said...

Does sound delicious, not to mentione healthy for you and Taylor alike!! Oh, reminds me I need to go get some FYH cheese today...

Anonymous said...

you shouldn't apologize for eating the cheezy sauce....imagine how bad the true Hamburger Helper is for you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you *so* much - I've been looking for recipes just like that! Sweet! I'm excited to try this. :-)

J said...

That actually sounds really really good! Always handy to have a basic easy recipe in your repertoire!

Michelle said...

looks good and filling, just perect for this freezing weather!

aimee said...

Sub quinoa for the rice and skip the cheez and you have my "usual". I totally understand eating this combination all the time...I do it too!
Yummy!

Anonymous said...

Sounds good! After so many years of using a lot of spices in the old veggie style, I am finding out how awesome plain salt & pepper can be for seasoning!

Susan

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

no wonder you eat this meal so often - it sounds spectacular!! love the mix of lentils, spinach, and garlic you've got in there!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

"an embarrassingly large amount of shreeded FYH moz. cheeze"- love it!

Candi said...

Oh, looks like total comfort food, but you are right that it could be FAR worse for you!

I like the suggestion on substituting quinoa. If you ever get tired of the usual, you could sub different grains or beans. I somehow don't think you'll be getting sick of this dish though! :) (Mmm, I like the cheese addition at the end!)

Hope you are doing well!

aTxVegn said...

Sounds perfect - healthy, comforting, and filling. And way better than Hamburger Helper!

Sheree' said...

All expecting momma's deserve some favorite food. Your's is alot healthier than my choice was. Mine was bean burritos. lol... I made lentils last night. I love thos lil gems!