Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Key Lime Teasecake

Once upon a time I had an unyielding love of cheesecake...and anything Key Lime Pie...Key Lime Cheesecake? Yes and PLEASE! So, imagine my glee (and total curiosity) when I stumbled upon this recipe in the new Vegan Vittles.
Key Lime Teasecake. No, it's not cheesecake, or even some tofu'd version of the real thing. It's a creamy, tart, thick, but light dessert that is absolutely to DIE for. The second best part? The only sweetener used is maple syrup. The BEST part? Ya ready? It's made from MILLET! I know, right? Who'da thunk it?
This is the second time I've made this dessert, the first time was for a friend's bday bash where it was devoured in record time by veg's and omni's alike. Seriously, peeps forewent an array of traditional party confections to dive into this yummy dish before I could even think about snapping a pic.

This weekend I made it for family football Sunday. We've decided, each Sunday, to prepare foods which best represent the opposing team (we're 'fins fans). I, obviously, provide a vegan option of whatever they're doing. As Sunday we were set to cream the Jets (we didn't....sigh) it was NY deli fare and, of course, cheesecake...or in my case, Vegan Teasecake!
Oh yeah, by using oat flour in the crust? this one's totally wheat free ta boot!

I even made a single portion for myself to come home to with the extra filling!

As googling Lemon Teascake will take you straight to a page out of The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook that gives up the recipe (apparently, Joanne Stepaniak was smart enough to tuck this gem into both her best vegan books), I'll spare you the link and post the recipe here!

It's for Lemon Teasecake but how can you not wanna try Key Lime?!

Key Lime Teasecake

Prepare crust of your choice. I chose her Granola Nut Crust.

1/2 c. uncooked millet
2 c. water
1/2 c. raw cashews
1/3 c. key lime juice*
1/3 c. pure maple syrup**
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. lime extract (lemon works fine here, too)

In a med. saucepan with tight fitting lid, bring millet and water to boil. Cover and cook on low heat until water is absorbed and millet is soft, about 50 min. Meanwhile, grind cashews down to fine. Place ground cashews, key lime juice, maple syrup, vanilla, and extract into a bowl and mix with hand blender or blend to smooth in regular blender. Add millet and blend til as creamy as you can get it. Perfectly smooth is what you're going for and immersion blenders do a great job of this. Pour into cooled crust and allow to sit for 30 min at room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent cracking and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours before serving. I like to keep mine in there overnight. Top with fresh fruit of your choice and serve! I like the contrast of slightly sweet kiwi and blueberries with the tartness of the key lime.

Will keep in the 'fridge for about three days. Soooooo good!

*the first time i made this i bought a bag of key limes and juiced them. the second time? i bought a bottle of key lime juice. note to self: they taste exactly the same. don't make more work for yourself!

**I tend to add the 1/3 c. maple syrup to start and then as i'm blending it, add a little more at a time til i get that perfect sweet/tart ratio i want outta my key lime flavor.

31 comments:

laura k said...

OOOOOH! I know what I'm making next time I get the chance!!

urban vegan said...

YOWZA!

Jenni Shortt said...

looks yummy, quite similar to my fresh fruit cake, a non dairy version of the traditional italian cake. Nice! :)

Vegan_Noodle said...

So beautiful! I love the idea of making foods representing the opposing team! You'll have to keep us up to date on that.... too bad I don't watch football. Maybe that's a reason though!

Brownbird Rudy Relic said...

I've made this before. It's so good! It sets really well to boot!

SaraJane said...

Oh YUM! I used to love key lime pie. I am SO making this. Yet another reason to buy Vegan Vittles.

Anonymous said...

beautiful!!

Doodleyboo said...

Well holy smokes! I never would have thought that recipe would turn out to look like that. Nice one!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Ooh that looks yummy!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Ooh that looks yummy!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

holy moly that looks good (sans the kiwi, since I am allergic) . . . i too also have a love for key lime and cheezecake, together or seperate. nice job! gorgeous!!!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

wow!! I've never cooked with millet before; but this teasecake is enough to make me go out and purchase some, right now!! haha.

aTxVegn said...

Oh my gosh, it's a soy and gluten free cheesecake. Bless you! It looks so delicious.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing this - I would have ignored any recipe with that ingredient list without such a great endorsement! Now if only we could make it frozen chocolate covered pie on a stick - my favorite from (pre-vegan) Key West trips!

Susan G

Emilie said...

yum! i love key lime.

i had the same experience with juicing key limes--got the fresh ones, was very proud of myself, spent forEVER juicing them and next time in the grocery store saw the bottle of juice as if it had descended from heaven to save me hours of time in the kitchen.

Anonymous said...

What key lime juice did you buy? I have to admit I'm a little leary of buying the lemon and lime juice - I have horrible flashbacks to those plastic yellow and green lemon and lime bottles filled with who knows what!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

This sounds SO good! I just need the key limes & I'm set!

Dreena said...

hiya! This pie looks amazing... but, my question if from your last post. The canned seitan that you bought at Vegan Essentials - which brand was it? The link in your post defaults to the home page, and now I'm SUPER curious to try out this seitan. Thanks! :)

scottishvegan said...

Looks amazingly good! And I love the name!

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

thanks, everyone! this is truly a winner of a recipe, I certainly endorse it 100%.

Susan- now you've got me thinkin...and that could be dangerous...but I'm excited to test it out.

Crystal- I was about to endorse Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Juice and direct you to their site to find a retailer near you until I dug up a bit of info about sodium benzoate, the perservative used. I know it's common, but read that, when mixed with vitamin C it can produce benzene, which we know to be a carcinogen. Soooooo, looks like juicing the little suckers is the way to go, tedious or not! I'm so glad you asked!

Dreena- the brand (of seitan) from vegan essentials is Cedar Lake. I purchased the Chops. already looking forward to cooking them up again soon!

siccike said...

Could you pls give some indication to the granola nut crust?
Thank you very much,
Judit from Hungary:-)

Beth said...

Yummmmm... I made a Key Lime Tofu 'Dessert' that doesn't deserve the 'cheesecake' title the original recipe gave it... it wasn't horrible, but it wasn't cheesecake. And you know i drool over cheesecake. A lite version- I'm so there.

Dreena said...

Thanks DGMGV!! :)

Anonymous said...

This sound yummy! Just wondering where do you purchase the Millet from?

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks so good!
And thanks to you I've just discovered millet!

Anonymous said...

I made a lemon version of this as a tart with a blackberry top. It was tasty, however it didn't freeze very well. Everything became kind of watery when I thawed it out. I think I'll try the key lime next, and will be sure to eat it all straight away. =)

Rebecca Sills said...

I made this for my vegan friend's birthday, and it turned out amazing! He can't eat cashews, so I used macadamia nuts instead. I blended the nuts in a coffee grinder first, then blended all ingredients in a food processor. Didn't get perfectly smooth, but good enough! I don't think I'd make it again, because it was a lot of work, but it was a birthday pie to remember!

price per head said...

Nice and fantastic post... thank you very much to do this and thanks for sharing this with us.

Anonymous said...

Made the lemon version today with a homemade blueberry topping it came out very tasty!

Dr. Radak said...

Topped off with some Lime zest for extra limey-ness!

Dr. Radak said...

Also added some lime zest to top off and make extra "limey". Fantastic!