Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Fell In Love With a Salad

Arugula and Mushroom Salad with Hempseed and Liquid Gold Dressing


I know I've blogged this one before (recipe included in the last post), but it bears repeating (I totally couldn't help myself with that title!).
IIt's so incredibly hot lately, all I want is fruit or salad. My all-time easy, healthy, super delicious go-to salad dressing is non other than the Liquid Gold recipe from Becoming Vegan. Just two tablespoons of this golden goodness supplies one with all of the omega's and B vitamins one needs in a day! and did I mention how delicious it is? It's base is Flax Oil, which personally I find to be pretty unpalatable, but in this dressing it shines. Matched with a half a cup of Nutritional Yeast, Tamari, lemon, and cumin it's just the best thing ever.
I really think it's perfect tossed like you see it above with some baby Arugula, hempseed, and some thinly sliced 'shrooms. I've made it with roasted portabellos before and loved that too but when you just can't be bothered to cook anything, raw is ideal. I actually love this salad so much that I eat it regularly and can't bring myself to change the ingredients or stray from this combination. I think that tossing in some dried cranberries might lend an interesting and contrasting sweetness though.
I will say that, when I first tried it, I was unsure of the cumin. I think I may have even left it out or at least gone super light on it. Since, I've learned that, for me, it's perfection just as intended and now crave the distinct flavor regularly.
Hope you're all enjoying summer's end!


5 comments:

VeganLisa said...

I love that dressing. Thank you for the new salad suggestion. I will definitely give this combination a try.

aTxVegn said...

This looks a salad I would fall in love with too.

nora said...

I've actually thought about making that dressing before. I'm glad to hear it's delicious--it almost sounds like "cheesy" dressing!

My Year Without said...

Awesome salad. I LOVE arugala and I have been craving mushrooms lately.

I don't know much about mushrooms, though....do you know what they offer nutritionally?

nutritiousmeg said...

I've been checking out a lot of vegan blogs lately and was pleasantly surprised by yours. Not dessert focused! Keep up the good work.