Sunday, September 30, 2007

Tofu Omelet & Other Success!

Susan's Omelet for one is amazing. I filled mine with tons of broccoli and mushrooms. I think I need to adjust my heat a little (the inside wasn't as set as I would like but still wonderful, honestly) and I think i need to add something like sun dried tomatoes to mine next time to add a little more saltiness but wow, great job, Susan!

I finally tried the homemade buns that Chris has been whipping up for a while. The recipe always seemed so involved but it's actually quite easy....and the results?

perfection! Now, if I could just top toasting them and eating them with Smart Balance and actually throw a patty on there! (I did make the tempeh pecan burgers the first night but the pictures are awful. the patties are good , but I think I'd back off the Liquid Smoke a little next time as it's a bit overpowering for my palette).

With my new love for all things cashew/nutritional yeast encrusted tofu (just dip in a mix of soy and maple syrup, then crust with cashews, nutr. yeast, salt, and pepper), I decided to try baking them instead of frying them first thing in the morning. The verdict?Still super scrumptious AND better for me!

From our football Sunday, I'd forgot to mention that I'd made, easily, the best potato salad I've ever made to go alongside my Tofurkey Deli Sub.New red potatoes, green onion, celery, salt, pepper, Vegannaise, homemade agave mustard, and dill. That agave mustard really gave it a flavor that sent me right over the edge!

Hadn't made sweet potato fries in forever, but had a huge spud in the pantry just begging to fit the bill. I've never had huge success in my baked fries not being a bit mushy so I tried an online trick of baking them w/ sea salt and black pepper first, coating with a bit of brown sugar, then upping the temp, hoping to caramelize and crisp up the outside a bit.All in all, it wasn't entirely successful, but I'd dusted them with some five spice powder just before chowing down and they were reeeeally tasty if not entirely mush-free. the pic sux but I was in a hurry to devour them ;).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum, all looks great!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

this seriously looks like some of the best food ever. that crusted tofu, potato salad and those sweet potato fries would be a huge winner in my house!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Hooray, I've been meaning to try Susan's omelet! Man, cashew / nutritional yeast encrusted tofu sounds AWESOME.

Vegan_Noodle said...

That omelet looks absolutely awesome!
I'll have to try you new tofu obsession, it sounds tasty!

aTxVegn said...

I'm glad you made those burger buns and thought they were easy to do. Yours turned out perfect and now I really must make them.

LisaJean119 said...

I might have to try to recreate that omelet..that is crazy!

Looks good!

Anonymous said...

What was the dip that you used with your sweet potato fries? I make them a lot and am always looking for something new to dip them in.

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

You guys are the best ;)

anonymous - i used my most favorite homemade condiment (aside from salsa): agave mustard - equal parts of Vegannaise, Agave, & Dijon Mustard. Soooo good, and especially great on sweet potato fries!

Jenni Shortt said...

what's in the third image? Looks yummy but can't tell what it is! LOL