Saturday, February 17, 2007

Banana Blueberry Muffins 'n Stuff

Behold, my new favorite muffins, complements of La Dolce Vegan, fresh outta the oven...
I had a banana or two lying around that was browing quite nicely and just begging to be mashed into something worth baking. These muffins are totally just that. They're easy and amazingly delicious. Not too sweet, and fluffy as all get out.

I mean, just look at it! You know you want one (or three).

Yeah, I've made these three times now and they freeze so well. I usually leave six out and freeze six. Then, a few days later, when I'm sad that I don't have any muffins left? I just take out the frozen ones and put them on a plate. They're defrosted in no time, pop 'em in a warm oven for 10 min and they're good as new!


I think that same day I tried my hand at baked Nutritional Yeast tofu.
I was going for something I love at a restaurant in Gainesville (from the 43rd St. Deli's breakfast menu). I just marinated the tofu in some tamari, coated liberally with NY, and baked til I thought it was done. I think at the deli they pan sear it, but I didn't wanna bother. Still yummy if not a tad too salty. Next time I'll go easier on the tamari.

I'm not the biggest yogurt fan, but when I do want some I love Silk Live! with cut up banana and some almond granola.
Lunch was my go to salad of butter lettuce, cukes, carrots, tomato, green onions, and That Ginger Dressing. I could drink that stuff, I tell ya!
and the TuNot sandwich on vegan rye bread made fore a satisfying meal.
I don't have any idea what we had for dinner that night but I DO know that we ended things with a dessert I haven't had in ages. This vegan jell-o like dessert, cherry flavored with chopped strawberries in the bottom. YUM! I love that the date container I got recently doubled as the perfect mold!

6 comments:

bazu said...

That jello is gorgeous! Takes me back to my childhood, my mom used to make jello all the time. How cool that yours is vegan and your accidental mold looks professional! Your actual food is great too (honest, I'm not only after desserts!) I want to try the new Silk yogurts. And that sandwich with tofu...yum.

Anonymous said...

I've thought about preparing tofu that way but never quite got around to it. I think your picture of it looks great and I'm going to give it a try now.

What a resourceful re-use of the date container. I think your mold turned out really great!

Amey said...

ha! That jello looks so good! I made some vegan pineapple jello a few months ago, and it was so fun to eat it again after YEARS. And just yesterday I was eyeing my packet of "lychee jello"!? Fun! Also, I love that you were so clever to use a date package as a mold! :)

Anonymous said...

yum. that muffin looks divine!
as all your food!

laura k said...

I'd like to try nutritionial yeast baked tofu--it's a good idea. I do something similar but I sauté the tofu. I love the jell-o mold--that's something you don't often see on a vegan blog! But it's beautiful. I'm not a big fan of yogurt, and the only kind I've found that I like is Stonyfield Farms O'Soy. If I ever see Silk Live, maybe I should try it.

Linda said...

those muffins look so fluffy and decadent. i've been on a mini-baking kick, i sooo need to make blueberry muffins!