Friday, August 31, 2007

Breakfast of Champions

Or of me, anyway ;)I know I said something about tinkering with and supplying a real recipe for these quinoa patties, but I do so love feeding a craving, especially when said craving comes together without a recipe at all. This is just something I like to throw together, yearn for it, really. And i never measure a thing. I just add whatever till the desired tacky patty making consistency and viola! Best breakfast ever.

Basically, this is half a cup of uncooked quinoa, cooked. then I just thaw all the frozen silken firm tofu i had in the freezer (was about just over a box, this time). I mash up the tofu and add a couple tablespoons of shoyu, about a healthy teaspoon each of garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, oregano, and a good pinch of celery seed, a touch of sea salt, some black pepper, and then maybe a tsp of olive oil.

I mix that up with a fork and add
nutritional yeast til it gets sticky, add the cooked quinoa, about a tablespoon or two of fresh chopped parsley, and form the patties. This made about nine. I place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and toss 'em in a 350 oven, spraying the top lightly with olive oil and cook for 15 min, flip, spray and cook for another fifteen minutes.

this morning I
sauteed some fresh spinach with olive oil, sea salt, pepper and a dash of nutmeg to make a bed for my patties then slivered a little fresh red bell pepper and drizzled on a bit of my homemade agave mustard sauce (equal parts of agave, Dijon mustard, and Vegannaise). so hearty and delicious, wheat free, too! And FULL of protein. super yum!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

well it so happens that you are a champion, so HA!
it looks absolutely wonderful. I've been lacking protein lately [not feeling like eating it, what the hey?], so that would fit nicely into today's menu. send one my way in a padded envelope? ;p

Anonymous said...

like celine say you are champion!!!
this looks so good :)

Anonymous said...

I love this idea of eating savory for breakfast - what better way to get in your daily servings of grain and veg!

And, this looks sooo yummy!

Sarag

Sheree' said...

I think vegans have the best breakfasts. We don't have to limit ourselves to cold cereal or dead animals. We get yummies like the one you have posted. Shoot right now for my morning break I am eating broccoli and cooked carrots. Breakfast was Susan's ribz. I love being vegan!! I will have to try a see what I can throw in my cooked quinoa and hope it comes out as tasty as yours looks.

Your topping makes the bell pepper look like a peppermint candy cane.

SaraJane said...

That sounds fantastic. I always cook that way also. It's hard to remember to try and measure as I'm writing out recipes sometimes.

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

i would eat that for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

laura k said...

Oh yes! I shall be making some of these. Thanks for sharing your creative edge! :)