Friday, August 31, 2007

Sammiches

With a new fresh loaf of whole wheat bread I scored at our local grocer (I love baking bread, but don't do it all that often and an incidentally vegan loaf now and then at the store is always a treasured find) I recently forewent my typical stuffed pitas and wraps for some good ol' fashioned sandwich lunches. First up is my beloved Tofurkey slices but with a slice of vegan cheeze. I think it's the Veggie brand. Not sure. I wanted to try out the Rice slices but grabbed these instead. oops! Either way, they're not really worth mentioning. They're kinda cheezy but a little weird tasting and they don't melt, not even when forcibly pressed on the skillet. Paired, however, with the Tofurkey, some ugly tomato (i swear there's tomato in there!), some Lagere's Nutritional Yeast Spread (think mustard with a ton of nutritional yeast added....Mmmmmmm), and a bit of Vegannaise and this was super tasty and quick. And filled that Grilled Cheese Craving I was having. It's really about the salty, crispy bread for me.Speaking of Tofurkey...remember that seitan roast I made a while back to quell my rampant and consistent Tofurkey consumption? Yeah, well... half of it somehow managed to be sitting awaiting use in our freezer (this stuff is good but Tofurkey addiction is a crazy thing, folks! ;). I recently bought Horizon's cookbook after someone somewhere blogged about having eaten there and loving it lots. (I'm nothing if not a total sucker for a good review of a vegan cookbook) In it, I was intrigued by their seitan 'chicken' salad recipe. It had a few ingredients I didn't expect so I knew I had to test it out. I'm so glad i did! It's really delicious, and their method of boiling the crumbled seitan for three min in a flavorful broth was perfect for preparing it to soak up all the yummy flavors of the dressing. I am seriously loving this stuff and it really didn't need much more accompaniment than a thick slice of ugly tomato on that whole wheat bread.
On the side tho....Cashe-so (Cashew Queso) was a brilliant idea I had with some corn chips.. Inspired by Jess of Get Sconed and her cashew cheeze (hers is raw), I whipped up Vegan Vittles cooked variety and had some leftover. Mixed with the last of my homemade salsa made it an even better dipping delight!

I do think, however, that the veggie bouillion used in this particular recipe is too overpowering and am excited to try it again with water or maybe miso, not sure yet....but it's good!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I've always wanted to try the Legere's spread, but I think they're discontinuing it. I'm not sure. :(

Anonymous said...

Like always, you've been busy cooking up a storm!

I was sorry to see the strawberry banana bread not turn out. You're right about the flavor combination though. It sounds like it would be out of this world and I too had one of those, "Why didn't I think of that before?" moments. I wouldn't abandon all hope for this idea.

Those cheezy crackers are definitely on my list. I have some soup I'm going to be defrosting for lunches and I think I'll make a batch of crackers to go with the soup instead of a roll or corn bread.

laura k said...

I love sammiches... there's something to be said for the simple and downright satisfying perfection of a good ol' sammich! Those meals look terrific.

SaraJane said...

Interesting about the Cashe-so. I have a friend that used to be addicted to that neon yellow cheese dip. I'm going to try and see if I can get him to eat this.

Anonymous said...

i love sandwiches, your looks so good!

Kate said...

Great post, I need some easy on the go lunch ideas!

MeloMeals said...

The sandwiches look great, but I'm really excited about the quinoa patties... that is the perfect bfast!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Yummy looking sandwiches! I'll have to try the tofurky slices, I've always been curious. The seitan chicken salad souunds awesome, guess I"m a sucker for a positive vegan cookbook review too!

bazu said...

Oooh those sandwiches all look so good- when's the last time I had a good old fashioned sammich?... Too long, I say!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

you and my hubby would get along well. he could (and sometimes does) eat a sandwich everyday. yrs looks yummy.

Doodleyboo said...

Yum! I will definitely have to try that cashew cheeze! Thanks for the post :o)