Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Lazy Much?

I've been spending more time trying to keep our kitchen clean for prospective buyers than I have cooking in it as of late, which is what I'd love to blame for this really tasty, healthy, filling, but tooootally lazy meal. Honestly, I'm embarrassed to even mention it....
Looks good, no? Rice, pinto beans, avocado. You're thinking, C'mon DGMGV, there's nothing wrong and, actually, everything right about good ole fashioned rice 'n beans. I'll let ya in on a little secret......

they're from a CAN! Yup, my laziness of late knows no bounds. In my defense, I was more curious than anything else when I first spotted Eden Organics' line of rice 'n beans at the grocery. When I actually ventured to pick up a can and read the label to find them low in sodium and see that they were about a dollar and change a piece, with about three servings per can? I was enticed enough to toss a couple into my cart (both the pinto and brown rice pictured and a can of kidney and brown rice as well, the latter of which I devoured yesterday after stirring in some homemade salsa without thinking to snap a picture).

I gotta tell ya, add a few of your favorite spices and these babies are cheap, easy, tasty, and healthy...you know, aside from the fact that they spend their days before gracing your bowl in a can.

Either way, with a nice side salad of fresh veggies, nuts, sprouts, and raisins (yeah, 's true. the salad dressing is Annie's not one I made. so lazy. sigh.) this was a great meal for a girl who just didn't have the time to be in the kitchen, embarrassed or not!

And speaking of lazy. I woke the other day a bit late and started making some fauxsage crumbles with tempeh. Halfway thru I realized I had neither the time or desire to whip out biscuits or some gravy to go with it so I did what any lazy (but super savvy!) vegan would do... I wrapped that delicious fauxsage up in a whole wheat wrap with fresh tomato and avocado and enjoyed it with half an organic apple and some raw almond butter.

Lazy never tasted so good!

11 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

looks like great meals to me! sometimes we all need a little break from slaving over the stove in the kitchen :0)

Beth said...

honey, i could teach you some things about lazy... :)

KleoPatra said...

Laughing out loud here. i know lazy better than you ever will. Rice 'n' beans. And Annie's dressing. Super staple stuff there. Thanks for your honesty. i love it.

And mmmmm... fuxsage up in a whole wheat wrap with fresh tomato & avo. STELLAR!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

that salad is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Wow ! rice and bean in a can that crazy!

your lazy meals looks awesome, you are very creative, that sald looks beautiful.

KleoPatra said...

LMAO... nice way to spell fauxsausage there by me. i swear i'm not trying to make your blog Rated X.

Wanted to thank you for your very nice comments on the last post on my blog. You are so incredibly cool, and even cooler that you do rehab, i can't think of the right word right now... but i admire & respect you so much.

Thank you for bringing your shining light to the world.

bazu said...

I'll take some of your lazy food any day! My husband laughs at me, but I love those Eden rice & beans- there's something so delicious and comforting about them. Mmmmm, and tempeh wraps would hit the spot right now.

Thanks so much for your comment about VT- good to know others have similar thoughts/conflicts about them too!

Judy said...

It's kind of laughable how we can get so apologetic about eating something from can once in a while, or using store bough dressing instead of homemade, when 99% of the time, we are being perfect healthy foodies.

Good luck with the house!

Melissa said...

I want that wrap in my belly right now.

Theresa said...

Your lazy meals look delicious! It's good that there are vegan meals-in-a-can. I always see tinned fish, meaty soups, and super cheesy pasta meals-in-a-can, but vegan ones are hard to come by in my neck of the woods!

laura k said...

Hey, I get lazy too! No shame in that!