Saturday, August 04, 2007

More Mango Muffins

I just love me some alliteration in the morning ;) There are no shortage of mangoes right now and I just couldn't help but veganize a recipe on the internet to use two overripe mangoes left in our recent purchase. These are really moist and tropical tasting. You can make bread rather than muffins if you prefer but you'd need to cook it at 350 for about an hour, according to the original recipe, and may need to make a foil tent if the top browns too much during the last 15 min of baking if making the bread.

Moist Mango Muffins

1/2 cup vegan sour cream
1/2 cup vegan margarine
1/2 cup soy yogurt (plain or vanilla)
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups chopped mangoes (very ripe)
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut (didn't have any so I tossed in 1/4 cup unsweetened dried coconut, reconstituted. I know that the flaked would prove MUCH tastier)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon rum extract (I didn’t have it so I just used dark rum)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour

Preheat oven to 375 for muffins, 350 for bread.
Mix sour cream and margarine together. Then add mangoes.
Add eggs,sugar, then extracts, then coconut.
Mix dry ingredients (except sugar) together and incorporate into the wet ingredients, stir till all is combined well.
Pour into lined or greased muffin tins (makes 18 muffins) or
Pour into a greased large loaf pan (5 by 10)and bake in a preheated oven for approx 1 hour.
Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.

These are more mango-y than the last batch, but I can't decide which I actually like best, they're both super yummy. I only used soy yogurt in this recipe to replace the eggs in the original as we had some that needed using up, but I'm not a fan of soy yogurt in general so I'd probably just use a banana next time.

Does anyone other than me think it's hilarious that spell check within an internet program does not register the word 'internet'? Cracks me up every time ;)

5 comments:

bazu said...

Thank you for your delicious veganizing activities- those sound so good! I can just tell by the sour cream, how tangy and moist they probably are. Mmmm.

Anonymous said...

What a good looking muffin. thanks for the recipe

is very funny the internet thing!

Unknown said...

Yummy! I think those are on the menu this week :)
Thank you.

Teresa said...

I love how you can see the bits of mango in the picture!

I've never bought or used vegan sour cream- I guess because I didn't like it as a non-vegan. Do you think there's a suitable substitute for it in this recipe? If I were to buy sour cream- what brand would you recommend? Thanks!

Beth said...

So, I made these, as I think Mangoes are the food of the gods... I put more mangoes, added a little coconut extract, and used half wheat flour... I'm thinking oat flour next time, and maybe coconut milk with the sour cream? Anyway, they were wonderful, but a bit dense... any suggestions?