Monday, August 06, 2007

Mini Quiches 'n Vegan Tapioca

I am constantly struggling with getting the best pics of my food to share here. We have a pretty darn decent camera (Nikon Coolpix 5400). Actually, it's almost too decent for the likes of me. I'm entirely too impatient to deal with such a photographer's camera. I need a more point and shoot variety as I rarely use all the options this baby has. That said, I know that natural lighting produces the very best photos, but without a tripod, this vegan's shaky hands rarely capture a great still shot. I love the lighting here, but it's just not as clear as I know this cam is capable of. So, as usual, the flash is used and that less than cheerful light is produced. it makes everything seem a big dark to me, but the clarity is often not to be beat. Sure I can tinker it with it in an editing program, but have I mentioned my lack of patience yet? ;)These were little tofu quiches with a big head of chopped broccoli and onion with oregano, basil, and thyme, served with VWaV's Roasted Red Pepper Almond Sauce. What a great flavor combination. These were accompanying some leftover Mango Muffins in a brunch served to myself and our weekend guest (miss you already!). Later that night, I had a craving for pudding...so I went about making a vegan tapioca. I wasn't sure if it would work sans eggs, I haven't had tapioca in ages..but I loooove how simple and easy and totally thick and yummy this turned out. Again, check the lighting....our home, at night, relies on those energy saving bulbs that seem to cast a orange/honey colored hue reflecting on the warm wood floors and accents that abound.As opposed to the dull but clear flash pic version. Such a difference! This little exercise alone is showing me that I reeeeally need to tinker with our camera a bit and adjust settings to see what I can come up with....but everything I eat is always room temperature as it is! ;) And i really must invest in a tripod!For the tapioca I just mixed 3 cups vanilla soy milk with about 2/3 cup plus 1 Tablespoon of granulated tapioca (it's basically all that was left in the little box I'd bought for something else). I heated it to boiling, set it to low for a couple of minutes, then stirred in about 1/4 cup agave nectar and 1 tsp. vanilla extract. I let it cool for about 15 min off heat before serving. It was perfect for me as it wasn't overly sweet and just enough vanilla flavor. For a sweeter version, I'd probably use Maple Syrup instead of the Agave and if you don't like your tapioca so thick, I'd use a little less of it. But I loved it just like this.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the quiches, they look so yummy :)
I've got a coolpix too, and am still playing with it. Hope you have fun with yours!

Unknown said...

Quiches looks great (love the plating).

I find I have a similar problem with my camera. I have a Cannon and I can adjust for the light source and the ISO level and I found that helped a bit, but, apparently, nothing beats natural light and a tripod.

xxx said...

Your food pics look really yummy :)
I do not make a lot of food photos (due to lack of time and money to buy food), but I find "Picasa" is a simple tool to make photos look much better if they did not turn out as you would like them. Camera: Canon PowerShot A630

xxx said...

sorry, I see I have to add my blog address, my blogger-profile is not available (cause my blogger login name is not my nickname for privacy and security reasons): http://reiskeks.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I think your photos are always so lovely! They make me hungry and jealous every time!

Those quiches look SO good, and vegan tapioca?! I have GOT to try that!

Courtney

vko said...

The quiches looks so good- lucky lucky houseguest!

And that tapioca looks yummy too. drool.

Sheree' said...

I just bought more tofu to make the quiches. We love them. I am going to put broccoli in them this time. Your pictures are fine. I know the feeling of the flash vs house light. If I photo in the kitchen I usually get nasty pictures, but the dining room light works better. Weird!

I so miss tapioca. I love it. Yours looks just like regular. I need to try this!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Those quiches look very yummy, especially with that sauce! I know what you mean about the whole lighting thing. I usually take 5-10 pics of the same thing and then choose the best one. Need to get some lamps for my kitchen or something. And like you said, a tripod would be helpful. I just use my little canon powershot, maybe someday I will invest in something a bit more high tech....

Sheree' said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog and your kind words. I grilled my ribz for about min or two so they didn't burn. They didn't take long at all to get the grill marks. I did spray my grill with cooking spray so they did not stick. If you use the George Forman just keep an eye on them. They are so good!

Anonymous said...

i always love your photos! for me they are great.

the foods looks tasty and original .

Unknown said...

some cameras will let you adjust for various light settings. I have a canon, and I can choose between various types of natural and artifical light. you just need to set your camera for tungston.

Amey said...

mmmmmmmm!
I want vegan tapioca!!
what a fun idea.
:)

Anonymous said...

I bought a cheap little travel tripod for $5.99 from the drugstore and it's working great. I don't have the patience for food photography either. I want to eat that food! But this tripod is so little and simple, no telescoping, just sits on the table. Though I must tell you, I never noticed that you were using a flash until you mentioned it. Sometimes it's obvious and yucky, but you obviously have a decent camera.

jenny said...

Hi!
I just came across your blog (it was linked from Vincent guihan's blog. Your pictures are incredible and your meals look so delicious!! I love how you always have something colorful on the plate (and I love your piped sour cream!)
So fancy!!