Monday, September 25, 2006

Hardy Breakfast, Light Lunch

When our guests were here Sunday morning, I broke out VwaV and thew together some Baking Soda Biscuits and Tempeh Sausage Gravy. Very easy, very tasty. I first thought that the biscuits could use a little something, maybe a tad more salt? As the veg shortening in the reciope adds no flavor and they're a tad bland. Granted, a little of the scrumptious gravy made me throw that notion out of my mind. This pic is from this morning, as leftovers are just as yummy, with some fresh cut canteloupe.
While enjoying my breakfast I spent some time organizing a folder I keep of jotted down and printed out recipes. I came across one that I made all through the beginning of summer and hadn't made since. It is a favorite amongst everyone whenever I add it to the mix of any potluck or bbq gathering. I can't remember where I got the recipe from, but it's listed below.

Super Fresh Chickpea Salad

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1c. loosely packed flat leafed parsley leaves, chopped
1c. grated carrot

1/2 c. sliced radishes

1/2c. sliced green onions
juice of one lemon (or three Tbs lemon juice)
1 tsp. coriander

sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

4 Tbs olive oil
toasted pine nuts or tofu 'feta' cheese (optional)


Place 1/2 chickpeas in a bowl and mash with potato masher or wooden spoon until they are a coarse paste. Toss in remaining chickpeas, parsley, carrot, radishes, and green onion. Stir to combine.
Whisk together lemon juice, coriander, 1/2 tsp sea salt, few generous grinds of black pepper. Continue whisking while adding olive oil in steady stream (i think that the original recipe called for 6Tbs oil, but I use 4 and it works out great!). Toss salad with dressing and season (if you like, but i never need more salt) to taste with salt and pepper. Top with pine nuts or 'feta'. This is such a simple salad with a wonderful flavor. It's a great side (serving 6-8) or, as I had it today, a fantastic meal (serving 4)!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so making that chickpea salad for lunch tomorrow !
Thanks for the recipe and the drool dripping from my mouth because of your beautiful and delicious looking food ! :))

Candi said...

I'm also staring at that chickpea salad!! I will definitely make that this week!!! It really looks great!

madeinalaska said...

I had the same experince w/ those biscuts.. but, the tempeh sausage gravey.. man that is the best, isn't it? I bet your guest were impressed!
I love the chickpea salad! looks nice and simple and super fresh indeedy..

Anonymous said...

Just thought I would say hi while chewing your Super Fresh Chickpea Salad. The only thing I would change is the name. I would call it "Super Fresh and Tasty Chickpea Salad" :)))))

Very good and very beautiful ! Thank you !!

Anonymous said...

Cette salade est vraiment très appétissante! Il fallait y penser! Merci pour la recette. Bonne continuation!