Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Berry Good, Need to be Better!

For the past four years that we've lived in this house I've complained that we are surrounded by farmers and no organic produce. I, instead, have to rely on our large grocery chain for organics which, often times, are spoiled and rotten, sitting on the shelves causing me to stray from the organics a LOT.

I just found out, however, that there IS a farm not fifteen minutes from our home that uses no pesticides or harmful chemicals (they say they are not certified organic due to cost....how much does that suck!) that specializes in greens, lettuces, tomatoes, herbs, and berries! Sadly, these are not their berries. They are the sweet and lovely but not even close to organic berries from our big chain grocery. I'm hoping they will be the last of the ones I buy there. The cap'n and I are looking forward to visiting the local farm and seeing what they have to offer very soon. Yet another reason I can't wait to move back to a 'big city' and join the CSA there....but for now, yay for local organic growers!

5 comments:

Her Grace said...

I, too, am surrounded by farms and can't find one that's organic. We do have a farmer's market and they often say that "they don't spray." But recently I had a conversation with a woman farmer who runs a local fruit market and brings many of her wares into the store to sell. She told me "everyone sprays" in our township, they may start out "organic" but will spray if necessary, which tells me that if they're only concerned about spraying, they really have no idea what organic means.

There is a CSA, but it's an hour drive, so I'm currently buying produce from our chain grocery too. Stinks.

Love your blog...I'm working on converting to vegetarianism and a vegan diet intrigues me.

bazu said...

Oh, awesome, you'll love the feeling of buying stuff that's organic directly from the farm! I hate grocery stores that have crappy organics sections, it gives organic produce a bad image...

theONLYtania said...

Lucky you found that local farm. I wonder how you never stumbled on it before? That's a shame about the cost of getting certified, I had no idea.

aTxVegn said...

You've made me feel lucky to have organic produce at my chain store. I was surprised to learn that "local" doesn't always mean "organic." I love to shop local but organic berries are a must!

I love your seitan marsala on the post below. And hooray for fellow broccoli fiends!

erica said...

There are many farms here in the Columbia River area that are organic but not certified due to cost and the enormous amount of red tape involved. I'm glad you found a good source of produce.