Thursday, July 05, 2007

Perfect Summer Soup & Skewered Seitan, Two Ways

Wanna beat the heat and revitalize your palate before a hearty BBQ (or broiled in our case, hehe) dinner? Try this Cantaloupe Almond Milk Soup. Cantaloupe & Almond Milk Soup
makes 8 smallish servings or 4 big ol' bowls


2-3 c. plain Almond Milk (depending on how thick/thin you want it)
1 cantaloupe, seeded, removed from rind, and chopped

3 T agave nectar

1 T fresh lime juice

1 tsp. lime zest

lime slices for garnish

combine all but lime slices in a bowl and mix with hand blender (or just toss in regular blender) until desired consistency is reached (i like it reeeeally thin).
garnish with lime and enjoy!

This same night we also used up the last of the seitan roast I'd thawed from the freezer. I sliced it thin and marinated half of that in The Artful Vegan's Peanut Butter Coconut sauce (from their seitan appetizer recipe) and the other in a store bought BBQ sauce.Still sans grill, I skewered the seitan about an hour or two later with some baby bellas, a zucchini, and a red bell pepper, half with the coconut sauce, half with the BBQ sauce then broiled it all, basting as I went.
Would have loved to have broiled it all a bit more but the wooden skewers I'd soaked for as long as my seitan marinated were beginning to burn.

We enjoyed this with some quick brown rice. I knew the BBQ sauce would be a hit with the Cap'n (I'm not the world's biggest fan but it's ok on occasion) and we both LOVED the Artful Vegan's sauce.We're heading up to TN for a family wedding this weekend...be back Tuesday some time with pics of all the yummy vegan foods I'm trekking up there with us! Have a safe and happy weekend everyone!

6 comments:

aTxVegn said...

Those skewers sure look yummy! Now I must try the Artful Vegan's sauce.

Candi said...

I had my first fruity cold soup recently and loved it! Mine had pureed blueberries and strawberries, and I was surprised that I like it so much! Yours is too pretty!!

That Peanut Butter Coconut sauce sounds like one we'd love as you both did! Thanks for the link to the cookbook!

Your BBQ without a grill looks great with the seitan and veggies!

Hope you have fun in TN!!!

Just call me Orangie said...

The soup looks fabulous. I wonder if I can make it with watermelon (I hate cantaloupe)

Cherry said...

That Artful Vegan sauce and seitan looks great! I'll have to get it from the library and try that! Thanks for the idea.

urban vegan said...

gorgeous, refreshing soup....and mouth-watering, omni-tempting seitan.

Christine said...

wow, the seitan on the skewers looks eerily meaty! but the sauce sounds fabulous :)