Thursday, July 19, 2007

CBC Soy Curls

Coconut Basil Curry
ala Celine of Have Cake, Will Travel.

I reached for the tofu when I saw her recent post, but then remembered the Soy Curls I'd just gotten in the mail from Food Fight. Basing my sauce on her idea I whisked together
1/2 can lite coconut milk

two scant tsp of green curry paste

about 1 T of agave nectar

1 1/2 tsp dried basil

and set aside

I browned my rehydrated and squeezed dry soy curls in a touch of peanut oil then simmered in the sauce until it was reduced down and thickened.

This went on a bed of jasmine coconut rice (based on the one in VWaV in that I cook the rice in my pressure cooker with half a can of lite coconut milk and 1/2 c. water for one cup dry rice and a cinnamon stick, then topped with toasted coconut).
On the side, I planned to steam cauliflower and broccoli but the Cap'n requested roasted cauliflower and carrots. I opted to roast them with only a bit of olive oil and some sea salt, leaving out the usual copious amounts of garlic so that it wouldn't compete with the flavor of coconut and curry.

I really should start taking note of his responses word for word. they are entirely too funny (and typically wrought with colorful expletives ;), but best of all? they are welcome praise from an omnivore obviously loving the vegan things I feed him.

Oh, and I LOVE these curls and that they keep me from fretting about using TSP. Now when TSP is called for I can just mash these up a bit and use them as well, but I'm in love with the possibilities of all one can do with them just as they are. They are versatile, healthy, AND cheap!

I only wish I could buy them at the store, but will have to resort to stocking up via the internet until that day comes!

5 comments:

Monika K said...

I've never heard of these curls before but they certainly look like chicken. The whole recipe sounds smashing!

Unknown said...

Hi sweet daughter,

This looks so good. We must make this for our Healthy Vegan Gourmet Supper Club.

Love, Mom

erica said...

Do you mean TVP? TSP make me think: Trisodium Phosphate.

Unknown said...

never seen the curls either, but I'm interested.

Anonymous said...

I've been on the fence about gettng the soy curls but I finally decided to order a bag online. I can't wait to try them.