Sunday, July 29, 2007

Moroccan Chickpea Patties

Ya gotta love when cleaning out your fridge yields something as scrumptious as Vive's Moroccan Chickpea Patties.
This is, hands down, my most favorite way to enjoy them, in salad form. I just plate a bed of salad greens (in this case, spinach), some cucumber, place the patties on top, drop on a few extra chickpeas, and drizzle with Vive's recommended Ginger Sauce (on p. 49).

I didn't even get words of praise from the Cap'n (I've made these before), so much as this look on his face after the first bite of total flavor euphoria. These are a real hit.

I didn't have time to chill the mixture in the 'fridge before creating patties and these babies like to fall apart. My secrets in keeping them in tact (mostly, anyway, there's always one that bites the dust) are as follows:

1. Using a 1/3 c. measuring cup really does help give the perfect amount per patty.

2. make patty of that size in your hands and then hold in one hand, pat breadcrumb/sesame seed mixture into each side rather than trying to place in the breadcrumbs/seeds and pick back up. that never works for me.

3. I use a large-ish plug-in griddle for patties (best thing ever for this!) like this. I let them brown at about a 350 setting for 7-9 min and then use two spatulas to make sure they're retaining their shape, pushing in the sides a bit before caaaarefully turning them over (you want to only turn these babies once, if you can help it). once flipped, I use the two spatula technique again to push in around the edges to compact the patty a bit more and keep them from falling apart when it's time to caaaarefully lift them off and onto your plate.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

they looks awesome, thanks for the tips!

jrbpub said...

Sounds great to me.
The North Carolina publiher

Vegan_Noodle said...

This recipe has been on my list to try, I appreciate the tips in keeping them together! I am always clumsy with that kind of stuff....

Sheree' said...

OH my Gosh these look good. I am going to make these for dinner tonight.

Diz Rivera said...

This looks so delicious I can't even take it. I'm definitely trying this recipe stat, man.

And thank you so much for the thoughtful and kind comment this morning.

Anonymous said...

ooo, that looks so pretty! i love your presentation!

laura k said...

I haven't tried these yet, but mmmmm....

Anonymous said...

Vive should give you commission - after seeing this, i went straight to b&n last night and bought their last copy. (and i'm not even actually vegan...) Cannot wait to make these!