Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, Oh My!

During a recent visit from my friend Marlo (of Oh My Goddess Tempeh acclaim ;) I had the undeniable urge (I mean, who really can deny the urge to make cookies!!!) to greet her with decadent, but fairly healthy, vegan cookies. I'd already wowed everyone I know with Dreena's Homestyle Choc Chip Cookies before so I hunted the internet for something new. I wanted oatmeal with chocolate chips and that's exactly what I got with this recipe (makes about 2 dozen):

1/3 cup smooth cashew butter or almond butter or peanut butter
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup Florida Crystals
1/3 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup non-dairy chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts or walnuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Oil or line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

Whisk together first five ingredients until very smooth. Add remaining ingredients, and stir to combine (be sure to mix in thoroughly the baking soda and salt--you may want to stir these into the flour first).


Drop batter by large spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 12-14 minutes, or until tops just begin to crack. Do not expect them to get very brown. Remove sheet from oven, and wait 10 minutes before transferring cookies to a plate or wire rack.

(I used almond butter an walnuts and they were absolutely PERFECT! crunchy on the outside, chewy and delicious in the inside, full of oats and nuts and used only 2 T of oil). I'm thinking that the sugar could also be subbed with the appropriate amount of maple syrup to cut back a bit but don't really have enough baking experience to advise on just how that would work.

and check out that gorgeous plate they're resting on.....
thank you, Marlo for a beautiful birthday gift I just couldn't wait to use!!!

15 comments:

laura k said...

Okay, I'm flagging this recipe for later use. These look mah-velous, m'dear! Oatmeal chocolate chip--it's a classic.

Cherry said...

They look great. What exactly are florida crystals? I know they are a sweetener.

Monika K said...

That was my question as well, namely what are Florida crystals and can I substitute them with something else?

P.S. Yours is definitely one of my favorite blogs, by the way. (-:

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

laura- they really are wonderful, our guests scarfed 'em down!

cherry- Florida Crystals is sugar that is vegan (has not been processed or bleached using animal by products). it is pure, local, evaporated cane sugar. I believe they sell it outside of FL though.

monika- sorry, sometimes I forget people might not yet know what that is. hehe. and wow, i am truly flattered by your comment...'specially what with all of the amazing vegan blogs i peruse almost daily (yours included!). thanks so much.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Those cookies sound great! I love love love nut butters and oats with my chocolate chips. A wonderful combination I must try!!

Anonymous said...

I'm always looking for dessert recipes that don't call for so much Earth Balance. Not that I don't love the stuff, but I sometimes feel like people go overboard. I just can't justify using 1 cup of it in a cookie recipe. Can't wait to give this a try.

Beth said...

Oh i love me some oatmeal cookies! And loving that plate too! Boo-tifulness.

Periwinkle said...

Oh my goodness!! I was looking for a recipe with no butter and no eggs (husband is allergic to eggs, and I didn't want all the fat from butter).

I used coconut milk instead of soy, and added a few handfuls of shredded coconut, and reduced the sugar to about 3/4 cup, and OH MY are these cookies unbelievably good!!

Chelsea Anderson said...

These cookies are seriously the best vegan cookies I've ever made. The only thing I changed is I used 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar. I love that they don't have Earth Balance in them and that they use whole wheat. I made these for my classes (I teach 7th grade health) and when the told me how good they were, I told them they were vegan. Just another sneaky way I'm trying to convert the planet to veganism (or at least vegetarianism)!

Anonymous said...

Seriously the best chocolate chip vegan cookies ever...and i've eaten a lot of cookies in my time. You must try these. I made them with peanut butter and macadamia nuts...divine!

Anonymous said...

I made these cookies today and used crunchy peanut butter instead of adding additional nuts. The cookies turned out beautifully. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Anonymous said...

OMG i made these and they are the best cookies ever ! i only had oatbran so i used that instead of rolled oats, and I used whole raw almonds with peanut butter mmmm and i subbed the poil for 1/2 cup unsweetened appleasauce ! Thanks so much

Anonymous said...

These were awesome! I never comment on recipes or blogs, but these were comment worthy. THanks for sharing the recipe!

TheSweetestVegan said...

love this!

TheSweetestVegan said...

love this