Thursday, July 12, 2007

Seitan Roast...Again, Only Different!

The roast I'd made before got devoured so very quickly I knew I'd want to try another version soon. Then there's my addiction to these in all their forms:Tofurkey pita sanwiches or wraps. A little Vegannaise, leafy greens, tomatoes, cukes, red onions, avacado, sprouts, shredded carrots, whatever we have on hand, and it's the easiest, tastiest lunch ever. But Tofurkey ain't cheap, and I don't see any reason to buy any longer something I can totally surpass nutritionally in my own kitchen.

Thanks to Bryanna's recipe!

I don't have a clay pot or roasting pan so I just tossed my 4.5 qt. crock pot's pot and cover into the preheated oven and roasted for 3 1/2 hours turning twice. After the first turn I was a bit concerned. Where was that sauce that I was gonna end up with at the end? Mine looked a tad dry and I held my breath as I carefully turned it over once...then later again....to this...
Mmmmmm, and I cannot even begin to tell you how amazing it smelled throughout the house as it was cooking. All that yummy garlic simmering in the juice....sigh.

I thought I'd be slicing this the very next day for a sandwich but once lunch went by the wayside as we had a lengthy meeting with our realtor (cross your fingers, we'll need all the help we can get in this market!) I found myself dreaming up this version insteadI thinly sliced it and briefly heated the setian in skillet with the teeniest bit of olive oil, then removed and placed on a bed of brown rice, sauteed some broccoli (shocking, i know!) with a ton of garlic and then deliberately drizzled a quick Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook's easy cheeze sauce, tho, for the life of me, I cannot remember which one...basically chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, water, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme and oregano, olive oil, miso lemon juice. It's tangy and a wonderful compliment.

This was soooo good! I look forward to my lunch tomorrow when I finally make that pita or wrap. Having already munched on this roast while cold a little bit (but froze half so we wouldn't have seitan all week long...'cause we would, ya know!) I know it will be just as good as I've dreamed it up to be in my mind. ;)

5 comments:

KleoPatra said...

OMGosh that looks INCREDIBLE!!! Incredibly edible!! Yummmmmmmmmy. That's like a roast from my childhood only THIS time NO ANIMAL WAS HARMED. It doesn't get better than this, i am lovin' this seitan roast this way!! Way to go on this... and Bryanna is a genius, she is.

I want to thank you SO sincerely from the bottom of my heart for your comments on my blog about Mattie. It's been hard for me but even more difficult for the sweet deaf li'l punkinhead. i thank you for caring!! i'm hopeful she will continue on the road to a full recovery from whatever it is that she's been suffering from (the vets are not even sure!).

*HUGS*

Michelle said...

that does look really good.. i haven't made the seitan roast yet, but i really want to.. i'm sure i'll be anxious about how it will turn out too ;)

Anonymous said...

Your photo looks so good--I am practically drooling on my computer! Broccoli, cheese and seitan...what a great combination!

Courtney

madeinalaska said...

looks soo flippen good.. I have been slowly gathering all of the ingredients for Bryanna's recipe. But, I just haven't invested the time. All of her stuff is AMAZING!
Good luck w/ the Realtor. Maybe you could bribe him to work extra hard w/ a yummy sandwich.
I understand the tofukey dilemma.. I have found myself completely addicted to the pepper kind. I got some buy one get one free and really stocked up!

Judy said...

Wow, that looks really great! And don't you just love when you're able to make something that's as good as, if not better than, the store-bought version?