Sunday, July 01, 2007

Mango(ish) Muffins

So, I knew I wanted muffins, and I've heard great things about VWaV's pumpkin muffins. I don't think I've ever bought pumpkin so I knew I had none in the pantry...what to do, what to do? Pumpkins are orange...and hey! that mango sitting on my counter was orange...ish...kinda. Either way, I decided that mango muffins sounded like fun. After slicing up my fresh mango and pulverizing it I felt that there was just not enough there (I had hoped to use about a cup of the fruit but i was lucky to have more than half that....such a little mango. sigh.) so I did the most logical thing and mashed in two extreeeeeemely ripe bananas that were either becoming ingredients today or getting tossed. I accidentally left the nutmeg out but followed the recipe pretty much. I did cut the sugar down a little, but not a whole heckuva lot. I'm thinking next time ('cause i'm convinced that mango muffins are something I need to make again) I'll shoot for two mangoes and one (if any, really) banana.The banana in these ended up being the star flavor but they're definitely light and fruity and very flavorful. I am wondering, convinced as I am that a true mango muffin needs to be made, if it's just a waste of an otherwise perfectly delectable fruit enjoyed all on it's own. Either way, should I try it again and have better success? You can bet there'll be a recipe. For now? Go make yerself some VWaV pumpkin muffins and report back. I'm dying to try those! ;)

10 comments:

Monika K said...

What a great idea - I never would have put the two together (mangoes + muffins). Maybe some papaya would be nice, too!

bazu said...

I'm always awed by fellow bloggers' recipe inventiveness. Wow!

Christine said...

I've made the pumpkin muffins several times and they are delicious. They've gotten the omni stamp of approval too! And they freeze well to boot :)

laura k said...

Great, creative twist on a classic! But what's this about never bought pumpkin? NOOOOO!

Just kidding... But you should really try the pumpkin version of these. And maybe I should try the mango version!

Aurelie said...

Yum, mango muffins!

Cherry said...

Those muffins look great!

Teresa said...

Mango muffins!!! What a great concept. I'm definitely going to have to steal your awesome idea. And it's probably a good thing that you left out the nutmeg, because while pumpkin nutmeg go great together I personally think nutmeg and mango = bad news.

-Teresa

Vegan_Noodle said...

That sounds like a great idea, very unique. I wonder if you put pumkpin and mango....hmmm, maybe a little weird but you never know!

Joy Keaton said...

I have to try these! I love, love, love mangoes, but would never have thought to put them in a muffin! Sounds great!

Beth said...

Yum Yum! This one is going on the fridge!